On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Randy W. Sims wrote:

> Agreed. Reviews as modules is not the best solution. CPAN does one thing
> and does it well. Adding reviews as modules is likely to cause more
> problems that it solves.

Do we really need reviews ? I am afraid not many people will take the
time to do a deep analyzis of a module. On the other hand,  I guess,
they would be ready to give their short opinion or ideas on how to use
the module, or which other module to use instead.

For part of this cpanratings fits well, maybe it needs improvements but
that's one direction.

There are two other options for some improvement:

What about creating an annotation system similar to what PHP has on its
documentation (see www.php.net ) ? It might be part of the rating system
or might be separate.

What about a web based discussion board that is module specific ?
Easy to search, categorized by modules, easy to post - no need to
subscribe to a zillion mailing lists.

Gabor