On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 06:39:00PM +0000, Tim Bunce wrote:

> FWIW, the reason I'm digging here is because I agree there may be
> some value in the DBI supporting something along these lines, but
> I need a better understanding of the underlying issues. More real-
> world examples would help.

I agree solving this in DBI is ideal. DBI is about abstraction,
and this is one commonly used bit that varies from database to database.

> It'll always come down to the issue of "why not store complete DSNs?"
> and so far that's not been well covered by the feedback I've got.

I've always stored each piece as as separate config variable. Maybe it's
because that's the way my brain works. I don't think "what's the DSN?",
I think "What's the username? the port number? the host name?".

I like for the software to work how I think, rather than bending my head
around the format that's easiest for the computer.

    Mark