* Ofer Nave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-02-28 22:55]:
> I've been thinking for a while that it would be great to have a
> CPAN wiki for things like:
>
> [...]
>
> I enjoyed writing the Parallel::* comparison, and I believe it
> is useful, but honestly, it doesn't belong in the SEE ALSO
> section of my module.  It belongs someplace neutral, someplace
> that can be maintained and expanded by the whole community.

This is somewhat of a permathread on this list. It has been a
topic of discussion several times before in the time I've been
subscribed (I sort of kicked off one them). So far nothing
tangible and successful has really come from it. There's the
recently opened CPAN::Forum may or may not offer something
useful. There is some kind of "unofficial" CPAN wiki somewhere, I
think. The problem is that documents like your (excellent)
comparison require a lot of time and effort. They don't happen
easily or naturally. Someone has to care enough.

I openly admit I haven't invested much effort in developing an
idea and/or pursuing one; and I conclude that I'm the norm, since
not much is happening. The problem is, this is a hard problem to
solve.

Really, the format doesn't matter, be it a wiki, Perlmonks
section, perl.org subsite, regular web forum, mailing list,
namespace for review PODs on CPAN, or whichever of the myriad of
other suggestions. It simply requires a lot of volunteers willing
to do a lot of work to study modules in depth, compare them, and
write up their experiences. Where the writeups end up is
irrelevant so long as they have a coherent location they can be
referred from; the hard part is the process of getting those
writeups prepared and written.

*That*'s why we still don't have a solution. It's not a technical
problem.

Aristotle
"Like punning, programming is a play on words."
  -- Alan J. Perlis, "Epigrams in Programming"