> Proc::Daemonzier would take care of
>  - creating a pid file
>  - checking if the daemon is really running if the pid file exists
>    (detection of stale pid files)
>  - starting only if no instance is running
>  - restart the daemon|signal him to reconfigure itself
>    (see example)
 Add reliable logging to that, and detection of hanged processess (for example
network connections put into TARPIT).
 Some generic configuration would be nice, probably based on YAML.

I searched for something like that, and finally temporarily settled on
runit - written in C, inspired by daemontools,( unfortunatelly author lives
in runit-centered universe, much like djb himself),
and daemontools provide half-hearted solution for logging problem.

 Seamless integration into existing solutions would be nice ( for example
debian's start-stop-daemon ).

Such module would be a godsend.
--
Key fingerprint = 40D0 9FFB 9939 7320 8294  05E0 BCC7 02C4 75CC 50D9
We're giving you a new chance in life, and an opportunity