On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Chris Dolan wrote:
If CPAN made it easy to install unintended software by mistake, that would be a huge security hole. Some people run cpan as root. Defensive programming is absolutely the right thing here.

And how exactly would a shortcut that says "oh you asked for something that isn't really a module name, would you like us to install THIS package which contains CERTAIN modules anyway?" cause security issues? I run the cpan shell as root all the time. Its a pain to have to remember the CPAN caniptions every time I'm setting up a new random server and the less often you deal with it the more likely you will have forgotten it all. This is exactly the context where the sort of shortcut that Perl is known for should be eximplified but its not. It may be the individual's first exposure to the Perl world. Let's not make it suck because of weak fears.

PathTools and Template Toolkit are both examples where the thing to type into CPAN isn't clear to the newbie sysadmins. If we had a list of things like that for the important modules that have such strangeness then there should be any security problem in doing this without prompting since those mappings would be official and Known To Be OK. If I say
        install TemplateToolkit
or
        install Template::Toolkit
having that map to
        install Template
without too much fuss is not only harmless and significantly helpful it might even be a security benefit since I won't accidentally install three other templating things in the meantime hoping to find the right one. The amount of time saved for sysadmins all over the world without causing anyone one iota of actual harm is awe-inspiring.

So, am I really missing something here? Is there really some chance for a harmful mistake being made that can't be trivially mitigated with solutions like I mentioned above?

--
</chris>

 -- C.A.R. Hoare