On Mar 14, 2006, at 8:52 AM, Steven Schubiger wrote:

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 11:44:11AM -0600, Chris Dolan wrote:
* Simply automatic translation of legacy Makefile.PL files into Build.PL files

This functionality has already been made available via the Module::Build::Convert distro, so no need to make your hands dirty and redo it. Have a look at it and if
you like, tell us what's missing from your point of view.

There was a typo in that bullet. I meant to say "Simplify" not "Simply".

The difference is that Module::Build::Convert uses the *results* of Build.PL to compute Makefile.PL, not the source code. Consider File- Extract as an example:

  http://search.cpan.org/src/DMAKI/File-Extract-0.06/Build.PL

That Build.PL changes its prereq list dynamically after prompting the user. Setting aside whether File-Extract's approach is wise or not, one can easily see that Module::Build::Convert would lose information about that prompting and would produce a naive Makefile.PL.

My proposed module would conceivably enable Module::Build::Convert to easily test whether the Build.PL is non-trivial, and thereby suggest to the author that he hand-edit his Makefile.PL instead. Of course, I do not propose adding PPI to the M::B prereq list at this point. I'm using this just as an example of where my proposed module would offer novel functionality.

Chris
--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software (http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)