Quoth [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("David Golden"):
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:23 AM, Johan Vromans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Michael G Schwern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >> Module::Install is the greatest threat to CPAN stability.
> >
> > So why not get rid of it?
> >
> > If it does not provide any relevant functionality that EU::MM and M::B
> > also provide, it should be possible to convince the author to withdraw
> > it.
>
> Personally, I wonder how many authors use it because of the bundling
> capability and how many use it for the simple declarative syntax for
> Makefile.PL.

I use it both for the declarative syntax and because it allows me to
type

    /path/to/perl Makefile.PL
    make test

in a dev directory with a fresh install of perl and get all the
dependencies installed for me. Since I keep lots of versions of perl
around and try to test my modules on all of them, this is highly
convenient.

Of course, if someone were to make all that work using M::B as the
backend instead of EU::MM, I would be perfectly happy. Probably more so,
as then extending M::I wouldn't require messing around with EU::MM's
mess and the hacks required to make M::I work on top of that.

Ben

--
   If you put all the prophets,   |   You'd have so much more reason
   Mystics and saints             |   Than ever was born