# from David Golden
# on Thursday 27 August 2009 19:12:

>> Except then it also needs to tell you that there's a new
>> Module::Starter and Dist::Zilla and App::Builder and Tool::Belt and
>
>I'd limit it to toolchain modules that are dual-life CPAN and Perl
>core.  So M::B, EU::MM, EU::Install, etc.  Not the rest of the
>toolbelt.

I guess maybe.  It still seems arbitrary, and my point was that it is a
workaround to the fact that it's currently difficult for a module to
do "the right thing" to even compare its version against the index.

So, e.g. Dist::Zilla would have to simply set an expiration date of
~1year if it wanted to give the user a friendly nudge before they
released their dist.  But of course, expiration dates are troublesome
if for some reason there's been no need for a release in that year
other than to allow the user to silence the warning.

Or we can all compare timestamps of the CPAN vs CPANPLUS indices or
maybe try to fetch a fresh one or whatever because there's no way for a
user to indicate their preference.

--Eric
--
Don't worry about what anybody else is going to do. The best way to
predict the future is to invent it.