On Sun, Apr 04, 2010 at 05:16:41PM +0300, Sawyer X wrote:

>    I have a new module (which I'll probably release to CPAN soon
>    enough) which basically scans a machine for information (like
>    Puppet's Facter).
>
>    The working title is Data::Scanner, but perhaps that doesn't really
>    cover it.  Perhaps Data::Collector would be better, since it
>    collects information.  I'd love for a name that also sounds like an
>    application since it has a CLI frontend as well.
>
>    I'd appreciate suggestions to make this more searchable and
>    coherent.

"Data" is fairly meaningless as a name. The Data:: is intended to be
used for modules that work with abstract data values: Data::Bind,
Data::Bucket, Data::BitMask, Data::COW etc.

There's a Sys:: namespace that has things like Sys::Info.  (Perhaps you
could integrate with that.)

Generally speaking the more specialized the module the more
words-per-level the name should have.

Tim.