Nicholas Clark wrote:
On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 04:55:23PM -0800, Linda W wrote:

I have tried to get a hold of icc, you had to be a famous developer or pay money -- I wanted to try it because it was said to do a much better job of optimizing than the gnu compiler...

I was meaning this "Non-Commercial Software Development", which still seems to
be available:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/non-commercial-software-development/

It's limited to "My use of software products is for personal non-commercial
purposes." which I think actually excludes me, based on my current situation.

Nicholas Clark
----

That's the current license. At once point they gave free usage the linux kernel devs to get the lk compiled and benched under their compiler. For mortals, it was a limited time offer (some number of weeks (several) or a so, to test it out, then cough up blood to continue using..)...

And people say heroin dealers are bad when they get you hooked with free product...hmmm....funny that...

Now...as for you using it, I'm not a lawyer, I only grew up having to defend myself in a legalistic environment... (no worse or better than others, just what it was and partly sculpting of my personality -- like most parents have some affect on development). Given that, I'd say it would depend on if you are an individual or an entity But I'd say, it would it depends if you are an individual or a entity composed of more than one person (a partnership or more)... In the former case, I think the argument could be made that you could play with it personally, but not use it to release any commercialized goods/services. But as soon as you move to more than 1 person, then you couldn't have both working on the same software that would be for eventual commercial usage, as it would clearly be commercial development (and intel would lose license revenue if only 1 license was bought to sell the product...)... But in the case of 1 person. they get their license either way if you go commercial...

I think that while it might be good to try out, in general, it isn't as UNrestricted as the license for usage that is on Perl and/or CPAN, so requiring it for use of a CPAN module, would imply that module is so restricted.

Can modules on CPAN say "you have to pay me if you use this in any commercial product?"....

If so, then there's no issue... but I thought it was something similar to a LPGL...(even though the code is included).... guess that's the Perl artistic? I've never seriously thought along the lines of commercial distribution, so forgive me if I'm off base.