Hi   Thanks for your reply. I do apologize for not being clear. I will try
to restate what I want to achieve. For the sake of this discussion allow me
to simplify the browser/internet interaction as follows:

User enters URL in browser ->  **browser resolves domain name** ->
connect to server x -> HTTP request....

In the way the browser **resolves** the DNS is where the pac file is used.

This is what I would like to do:

User enters URL in browser -> browser always connects to my proxy server
-> HTTP request -> proxy receives req. -> **proxy uses a .pac to determine
destination server.** -> HTTP request...

Where with "proxy server" I mean apache configured to run as proxy with
"mod_proxy".

There are lot of problems involved with doing this (ie javascript
interpreter), however the first one I have is to have a component that plugs
in mod_proxy and allows me connect to whatever server it wants, instead of
relying on regular DNS lookup.

I hope it makes more sense now, thank you in advance,

Giovanni Donelli