Andrej van der Zee wrote:
> Does anybody know if the hook functions of such modules usually
> spawning a new thread/process? My guess is that at least for compiled
> CGI application written in C/C++ a new process is forked in the hook
> function.

This is just off the top of my head, so I have no solid proof for this,
and please correct me if I'm wrong.

I would think that the reason for having an Apache module for PHP/Perl
would be to avoid the overhead of initialising the interpreter for every
page - it initialises itself once at Apache start, and then resets its
state for each request. Or so I would hope. Using a module also gives
them access to some Apache internals that CGI applications can't reach.
CGI applications (including mod_suphp and PHP/Perl run as CGI scripts)
would be forked.

Dave