Sorin Manolache wrote:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 02:08, Andrej van der Zee
<andrejvander...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

I need to modify Apache and run one custom background thread. In addition,
my custom modules have to be able to share a data structure with this
background thread. Did anybody do this before? Is there an example I can use
as a starting point?

Regarding the shm protection against inconsistency: Now here are some
details that I don't remember. There are some mutex mechanisms in
apr_thread_mutex and in apr_proc_mutex. The first protects against
concurrent access of threads in the same process, the second against
concurrent access by processes. I remember I used the first, but I
don't remember why and how did I avoid corruption by concurrent
accesses of different processes.

For the worker mpm, both cross thread and cross process protection will be needed. apr_proc_mutex.h family supplies cross-process protection, apr_thread_mutex.h provides cross thread protection.

You "locking" method would be a wrapper method that first obtains a process level lock, and then inside that lock it obtains a thread level lock.

srp
--
http://saju.net.in