I ran a find for functions like ap_hook_auth_checker, ap_run_type_checker
and a few other functions.

I could not find the function definitions.  All I could find was a
reference to them in server/export.c.

Does anyone know where all of the functions are?

It's difficult to trace through the code if you can't find it.

I've been glancing over the server code and I see references to
"subrequests".

That appears what the ajax call may be.  I noticed the reference in the
digest modules was the main html file, even though it was validating the
credentials for the ajax file, which may be treated as a subrequest?

What's throwing me for a loop, is that it is logging in with the first
request, but not forcing a new login with different credentials on
subsequent requests.

Michele