I'm looking in modules/http/http_request.c.

Is this even in the right ballpark?

I'm hoping there's one if statement this call is failing causing the new
environment not to be set.  I would think it would be like a check to see if
a user is already logged in.

But, I not familiar with http terms.  They have add_common_vars to setup the
env.  But, I don't know how to force it to be implemented.  I'm not sure
what a bridgade is?  But there are functions like ap_pass_brigade.

Since ajax is so commonly used, I don't see why I am trying to have to make
this work.  I'm really thinking this should already be able to be handled by
apache.  Folks I've talked to just don't try to get htaccess to work with
ajax for the most part.  They rely on php security.  I would like to use
server security.

I'm having trouble finding documentation on this and have been dragging my
feet for two weeks on this thinking that it was going to be a quick fix.

Michele