Thanks Ben,

That might be an interesting hack to try, although I wonder whether some of
our friends running mod_pagespeed on FreeBSD might run into trouble with
it.  I did confirm that my prefork build has APR built with
APR_HAS_THREADS, which for some reason I had earlier thought was not the
case.

Do you have a feel for the exact meaning of that TTL parameter to
apr_memcache_server_create?

-Josh