I hope this isn't considered noise on this mailing list, but here goes:

I posted the following article to comp.lang.perl.modules, and have as yet
received no comments.  The module I mention is my main concern.  Is there
any interest in it?  I'm also wondering what others think of the Linux::
namespace and whether it has a legitimate use.  Suggestions for better
namespace placement for my module are welcome.

Jamie Tillman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

-----

Hi.  I have 2 related questions.  First, I've recently been browsing CPAN
and noticed that although the Win32 namespace is crawling with activity,
there don't appear to be any Linux:: modules.  I realize that Linux, being
mostly Unix, is more closely tied to perl than Win32 and doesn't need that
much "help", but I do believe there are some Linux-specific capabilities
that would benefit from being modularized in perl.  Has anyone else given
this thought?  What's your take on it?

Also, for those more experienced in Linux C development than I:  I've
recently been studying Linux C programming, and as a learning excercise, I
created a perl module called Linux::MsgQueue that provides perl access to
the Linux kernel level Message Queue service.  I've never done any IPC in
Unix, and I'm wondering whether other unixes might provide something
similar.  Do they, or is it Linux only?  Would anyone be interested in
seeing such an animal on CPAN?  Should it be in a Linux namespace if it is
indeed a Linux specific service?  It's all the same to me, since it was only
for learning, but I want to make my work useful to others if possible.

Just for the curious, here's how the module works:

The linux message queue provides methods to create a "queue" which is
basically a FIFO stack for C structs.  You create the structs as you desire,
drop them in the queue, and another process (or multiple competing
processes) can receive the messages in the same order.  An example in the
book I was using was one of a paging service with a client and server piece.

My PerlXS module provides some predefined C structs to the perl script that
give it character arrays of varying length, perfect for stuffing
Data::Dumper output into, but you can also create your own C structs and
provide them to your perl script through PerlXS.

Then you have the functions to create, write to, read from, and destroy a
queue.  Basically, the same functions provided to a C program using the
queue.

I realize the module would have limited applicability even in the Linux
realm, but it seems that it would have certain uses, esp. when the two
communication processes may not be running at the same time.  Putting a
network front-end on it might create an interesting optimized network IPC
server.

So, any interest?  Comments?

Thanks,

Jamie