  > However, when I search from the CPAN shell for HTML::Tree, all I see is:

cpan> m HTML::Tree
  > Module id = HTML::Tree
  >     CPAN_VERSION 1.2
  >     CPAN_FILE    C/CP/CPJL/HTML_Tree-1.2.3.tar.gz
  >     INST_FILE    (not installed)

Fixed now:

cpan> m HTML::Tree
Module id = HTML::Tree
    CPAN_USERID  SBURKE (Sean M. Burke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>)
    CPAN_VERSION 3.09
    CPAN_FILE    S/SB/SBURKE/HTML-Tree-3.09.tar.gz
    INST_FILE    (not installed)

PAUSE needed a kick to get this right.

  > And, oddly, there's still an HTML_Tree dist in
  > http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/C/CP/CPJL/ as well as
  > http://www.cpan.org/modules/by-module/HTML/

These are still there as the referenced file has not disappeared.

  > Is some part of CPAN out of sync with some other part?
  > And, more pointedly, can someone just go delete Lucas's module, since he's
  > made a surly point of forgetting to do so?

I don't think, this is really needed. Our policy has always been to
not stop people from uploading namespace clashes but to disable
indexing of same. This went wrong in your case for obvious reasons and
is fixed now. Should this not do?

--
andreas