On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, Jarkko Hietaniemi wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Are you certain the name of the SysConfig module is all proper and
> well?  I'm afraid SysConfig is much too generic, it tells almost nothing.
> Also, the module seems to be heavily specific to RedHat Linux, and as
> such, it should have *something* to that effect in its name, too.
> Linux::Config (if it is to be about more than RedHat), or RedHat::Config
> (you might want to let Randy J. Ray to know, [EMAIL PROTECTED], he is
> a very Perl-friendly RedHat representative)

Hi Jarkko,

All good points, however the main purpose behind the module is _not_ to
build a Kickstart file, nor is it specifically to write a configuration
file for Linux (although I can understand how one would be lead to that
conclusion).  I had toyed around with Linux:: or possibly even RedHat::,
but it doesn't really do the module justice and I think ends up being
equally confusing.

What it really comes down to, is that there is no really good way right
now to describe the important bits of an operating system.  Windows kind
of comes close with the concept of their registry, but it falls down flat
on its face for doing anything very useful.

The module itself wasn't meant to be specific to Linux.  You should be
able to describe any bits of an operating system fairly easily by using
it, and it was my hope that people would come up with different class
libraries in the future for different OS's (and even different
installation methods).

It just so happens that RedHat's Kickstart file is fairly trivial to
describe, and plugs into the idea of a registry very easily.  The same
goes for the XML class that I included as well.

I had toyed around with SystemConfiguration:: but then decided to
abbreviate it because the package names were getting ludicrously long.

As it is, I just wanted to get something out there (particularly since
someone might be able to use the Kickstart and XML classes), but there is
a lot of functionality still missing, such as being able to probe an
operating system to actually build the registry and do anything useful.

Any suggestions for naming schemes would be appreciated though, I'm not
tied to the name right now as it is.

Thanks,

--Patrick.