On Wednesday 17 October 2001 06:38, Kirrily Robert wrote:
> In perl.modules, you wrote:
> >The following module was proposed for inclusion in the Module List:
> >
> >  modid:       P4
> >  DSLIP:       bdpOb
> >  userid:      SMEE (Tony Smith)
> >  chapterid:    3 (Development_Support)
> >  communities:
> >
> >  similar:
> >    P4::Client
>
> Hrm.  We already have a VCS:: namespace in which there are a number of
> Perl interfaces to version control systems.  Your P4 module should
> probably live under there somewhere, rather than opening up a new (and
> cryptic) toplevel.

Actually the P4:: namespace is also not entirely new as P4::Client already
exists.

VCS:: is a generic interface to SCM systems in the same way as DBD:: is a
generic interface to SQL databases. P4:: is a module specific to Perforce.
I will produce a VCS::P4 at some point too.

> (Dumb question: Is PVCS the same as Perforce?)

Aarrgh! Stop - it hurts! ;-). No it isn't - PCVS is a lame duck whilst
Perforce is a soaring eagle!

Tony