On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 04:56:32PM -0800, David Muir Sharnoff wrote:
> * In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, David Muir Sharnoff
> * <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> *
> * > I propose that the Deprecated:: prefex be added to modules
> * > whose use is discouraged by the module's author.
> *
> * that would not work.  people may need the module to work with
> * older code.  the namespace is not a good place for meta-information.
>
> I would suggest that the package name be changed at the same
> time.  This would prevent the accidental replacement.  Or maybe
> it wouldn't if the module got packaged by a 3rd party.

That is still not a good idea.  As brian says, metainformation
like that should not encoded in the module name.  Also, it wouldn't
necessarily encode *enough* information, such as whether the author
has some recommendations to use instead of the deprecated one.

Why can't the Makefile.PL of a deprecated module simply be changed to
make the right discouragements, along with the documentation (=head1
DEPRECATED, maybe?)?

--
Jarkko Hietaniemi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://www.iki.fi/jhi/ "There is this special