On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, _brian_d_foy wrote:
> >  - Cipher
> >  - CipherDB
> >  - DBCipher
>
> cipher has meaning in cryptography applications, so this name
> could be misleading

That is true.  But the word also has a broader meaning which has nothing
to do with cryptography.  In any event, I am willing to use something
else.

> >  - RosettaStone
> >  - RosettaDB
>
> now, Rosetta is interesting.

I thought so too; it was one of my favourites.

However, now that I did a bit of Googling, I found a few existing
"products" with the name Rosetta.  One is a non-profit (?) for archiving
or translating known human languages, particularly those that are lost.
Another is a data-mining application, with GUI and CLI interfaces (the
latter it says can be invoked from Perl scripts).  Another is a European
Space Agency thing related to comets.  Another is an app called "A
Sysadmin's Unixersal Translator (Rosetta Stone)".  Another is Language
Learning software.  Yet another was a "Native XML Web Publishing Systems
for Classified Newspaper Advertising".

Doing a CPAN search, while "rosetta" brought up two pages of results, they
must be buried in documentation since it wasn't used in their module names
or capsule descriptions.

So, would my use of "Rosetta" cause any confusion with the other above
mentioned things, since none are Perl-centric, and many deal with human
languages?  Also, is it better with or without a "DB" prefix or suffix?

If it would not be a problem, I am more inclined to use that than any
other suggestions to date.  Of course, I welcome any more suggestions.

> >  - PortableDB
> >  - AbstractDB
>
> those are too general, i think.

Quite possible.  Certainly, several existing CPAN modules use the terms
somehow.

-- Darren Duncan