(I'm having to remove cc-ing perl.modules, because my mailer can't handle that. Please forward as you like.)

On 11/14/2011 06:29 PM, brian d foy wrote:
If you'd like to transfer that distribution, we can take care of the
details for you.

If you'd like to make all of your modules available for other primary
maintainers, we can do that for you too.

Either way, we can handle it so you can go put out fires without
worrying about PAUSE permissions (because that's always at the top of
my mind when things are on fire).

I'd like to give away most of the modules that still remain to me.
But I'm hanging on to these, because they're things I use in work and so actually have vital reason to keep in perfect shape:
  Text::Unidecode,
  RTF::Writer,
  Sort::ArbBiLex,

Now, as to history of why I held onto a lot of other things-- it has been because either:

* The given module is so simple (Array::Autojoin, IO::Null, Class::BlackHole) that it didn't look even worth the bother of chasing anybody down for-- and it had taken plenty of effort to give away modules so far. (BUT since you're taking things unconditionally, why /not/ pass them off?...)

Or:
* I estimated that the given module might /conceivably/ need bugfixes, BUT where a greater risk was of a next-maintainer becoming... eager... and turning the module from a tack-hammer into a nuclear sledgehammer, with seventy dials on the side). The one case where I thought I was safe but which sorta went all radioactive like that is File::HomeDir. But I haven't heard of any other trouble yet (and I stumbled on the File::HomeDir laugh-tastrophe only by accident); and in short, the world does me a favor when it leaves me ignorant of unpleasant things that I can't do anything about.

Or:
* There's other modules I remembered only as an unpleasant haze, but not being sure why-- a bug? an irrelevancy? a basically flawed concept? the module addressing a problem that no longer exists?-- And to clear that up would require me looking at docs and code which, well, I remember only as something I don't want to look at.

But now that we're no longer in the model of me having to sell people on things, but instead "HEY HAVE MY FREE KITTENS, EVEN THOUGH ONE MIGHT BE FERAL, WHICH ONE, NOT SURE.", yeah, I'll pass them to ya...

~But First~
First I'll do a quick census of the modules that PAUSE still lists me as maintainer of, and I'll send some email around about who might like first or zeroeth dibs on maintaining each one (like: right now I'll email Damian about Class::Classless), I'll wait a few days for responses from those guys to come in (once there's been an iteration of "ohgodno!!, but I'll forward to someone who would want/tolerate that module a lot!"), and I'll report back on which kittens (=most!) are still available. And anyway, if anyone misses their chance at their dream of maintaining... Class::Blackhole!, then they can always ask for it from you guys.

I'll report back during/in a few days-- and thank you very much for this. I spend enough time feeling SHAME merely about needing to rewrite Text::Unidecode's data tables, without my fretting about how there's OTHER modules that I'm responsible for, and which every month or two I'll occasionally get a bug report about, via the Baffling Bug Tracking System Du Jour, and ow my brain Calgon take me away!