I'm following this thread with considerable interest... we've reached a
point in our own company where we're beginning to hit CPU consumption limits
with mon as it is configured out of the box, and very shortly we'll need to
do a substantial overhaul of mon, distribute monitorization amongst
different hosts, create hostgroups with more than one host, etc.

Also, our production group has been bugging me about the loss of state
information every time there's a reset of mon (which now occurs two or three
times a day, every time we change the config).  I've been keeping them at
bay, promising that the issue will be resolved in the next release. ;)

My two bits concerning XML:  I like XML, I've used XML::Twig with Larry
Wall's XML parser in Perl programs for other purposes, philosophically it
seems like a great idea.

BUT:  It is by no means trivial dealing with non-US ASCII codsets in XML.
In Spain, we use the ISO-8859-15 charset, the standard now for Western
Europe.  Most of the time, this presents no problem, as the operating system
takes care of most translation details.  However, I've consistently had
problems with Perl/XML programs exiting with errors upon encountering a
non-US ASCII character in an XML file.  Is this resolvable?  I'm sure it is.
Have I had time to explore the intricacies of DTDs, charsets, and so forth
to resolve it?  No.  Nor do I think most system administrators outside the
US have the time or patience to learn enough XML to configure it correctly
for their environment.  For the most part, this will probably not present a
problem, since hosts, services, etc. identifiers generally consist of
characters in the standard plain vanilla ASCII charset.  However, comments,
user interface parameters, even script names may all contain "non-standard"
characters.  As the traffic on the list shows, a substantial number of users
of mon reside outside the US;  I think that any future implementations of
mon should take into account that non-US users will not want to have to
think about the character sets that they use on their machines when they go
to upgrade.

-- Scott

Scott Prater
Dpto. Sistemas