> On balance I think this is mostly very positive and forward
> progress.

Me too. </aol>

> > Proposed Strategy:
> > In order to solve this problem, the monitor scripts will have to pass more
> > data back to Mon.  However any changes to Mon and the scripts should
> > probably try to be backwards compatible.
>
> I won't quote Yoda here, but I will say that backwards compatibility is
> pretty important, especially for a product in as wide use as mon.
>
> Also be aware that if you present different monitor formats, you risk
> forking monitor development. As the maintainer of the mon contribs, I'm
> particularly sensitive to this. A possibility might be if the monitors
> defaulted to the old style, and were patched to allow an '--extended'
> mode, but that is a lot of work.

This may or may not be a good idea: how about versioning the monitor
output format? Possibly the extended format will needs some tweaks.
Would we create a new "super-extended" format?

The current mon format is similar to HTTP 0.9: no version information
given in the output. The next version (1.0?) would require each monitor
to put something like

Monitor format: 1.0

As the first line of the output. Simple, eh? Calling different routines in
mon to parse the output would simple too: look at the first line.  If it
matches /^Monitor format: ([0-9]+\.[0-9]+)$/ then switch on the value
of $1.  Otherwise, assume it is a 0.9-formatted monitor.

Alas, doing this may not mesh with the rest of the mon framework.

--
Mark Wagner [EMAIL PROTECTED] 206-598-0302
Unix System Administrator, Radiation Oncology and Radiology