On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, Piero Calucci wrote:

> when the router becomes overloaded for a short time), nscd caches the
> negative entry for a *very*long*time*, so all monitors fail with some
> "unknown host" error, even if nameservers are alive and I can get the
> address:

> negative-time-to-live   hosts           20

> so what's bad with my setup?

i'd wager the problem is that you're negative-time-to-live is set to
20 seconds, which is too long for your setup.  i've found that running
nscd gets you into more trouble than not running nscd (q.e.d.), so an
easy fix would be to do "rpm -e nscd", which is what i do. otherwise,
tune the ttl parameters.

on our mon servers here we do not rely on dns for name lookups. every
time a new mon.cf is installed, cf-to-hosts generates and installs a new
/etc/hosts for that system. in nsswitch.conf we have "hosts: files dns",
and it works beautifully.