From: David M Nolan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 11 February 2003 21:32
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Mon and Heatbeat - Dhcpd

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Diallo Moussa wrote:

> So i eard that i could use Mon. But with i didn't find a script to
> check a DHCP service....

I wrote a script for monitoring DHCP servers.  I'm attaching it to this
message.  It uses the Net::DHCP::Watch perl module, which you can get from
CPAN, to send DHCP INFORM messages to each server given on the command line.

A few things to note are:
It uses ifconfig to determine the monitoring host's IP address and Ethernet
address.  If you aren't running on a Linux machine, you may wish to change
that.

And if the monitoring host isn't listed in the DHCP
server's configuration, I don't know what will happen.

With ISC's DHCPD, during periods of high load the dhcp server may not
respond within the 30 second timeout.  So you will want to have an
alertafter configuration specified, so that you won't get false alerts.

Since the script just does an INFORM transaction, this won't detect a case
where a pool of dynamic addresses is fully utilized.  Actually detecting
that would require significantly more work.

- -David Nolan
 Network Software Developer
 Carnegie Mellon University
 Computing Services

This electronic message transmission contains information that is deemed
confidential or privileged by
the sender. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual
or entity named as recipient(s)
above, only. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any
disclosure, copying, distribution or use
of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this
electronic transmission in error,
please notify us by telephone (303-397-8100) or by electronic
mail([EMAIL PROTECTED]) immediately.