In this case, if the server is unavailable the df command will return a "not found" error, because of the automounter, which is fine.

Hugh

Ed Ravin wrote:

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 06:23:37PM -0700, Hugh Caley wrote:

I have a script for checking space on my mounts. It parses the output from the "df" command

If the NFS server is not available, won't that cause "df" to hang, eventually clogging up your mon server?

I don't see a NFS monitor anywhere. I was wondering if any of you had
one you used?

In thinking about it I suspect the easiest way to test it may be to
mount each share and run `cat $file` to ensure a known good file is
readable.

Same problem. Alas, most NFS failure modes cause the server to hang.
I would never mount any NFS filesystems on my mon server.

--
Hugh Caley, Unix Systems Administrator
Affymetrix Inc., 510-428-8537