On Mon, May 31, 2004 at 07:33:53PM -0500, Tim Klein wrote:
> I'd like to be able to put a whole paragraph in the
> description, rather than just one line.  I could put
> the paragraph in comments instead, but then alerts and
> clients couldn't make use of it.

There's a little-known feature of Mon that might help you
here.  You can set environment variables in the Mon entry
for a service:

watch mumble
  service diskspace
  description less than 5% disk space free?
  MIBDIRS=/usr/local/share/snmp/mibs
  COMMUNITY=ims03l33t
  interval 15m
  monitor snmpdiskspace.monitor

The example above sets the environment variables MIBDIRS and
COMMUNITY, which will be available to the monitor program.
The mon man page says they will also be available to alert
programs.