--On Saturday, June 26, 2004 6:57 PM -0500 Tim Klein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

But what if the trap never times out?  It appears that the
value of _trap_timer just keeps getting decremented forever!
(There's a different conditional that keeps alerts from being
sent after it gets below zero.)  I can't find anything in the
code that could ever reset it.  Am I misunderstanding the
intended purpose of _trap_timer?

Tim,

Having just read this code, I'll agree that its a bit confusing. But I don't believe this is a bug.

Essentially _trap_timer is used entirely as a way to prevent trap timeout alarms from happening on every pass through the code after the timeout is reached. I.e. the actual check for the timeout is where it compares
($tm - $sref->{"_last_trap"}) to $sref->{"traptimeout"}. And then when a trap timeout actually occurs, _trap_timer is reset so that no more timeout
alerts will be sent until that much time has passed again.

Does that help?

-David Nolan
Network Software Designer
Computing Services