--On Wednesday, February 02, 2005 10:29 AM -0800 Michael Vogt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

This changes the currend directory to "/".
I want to have files used by monitors be referenced relative to the
base directory.  It worked fine without using -f.

The hostgroup members I use for some custom monitors are actually
filenames.  I don't want to have to prepend the base directory.

What is the reason for the "cd /"?
What do I loose by not using -f when running from inittab?

Thanks for any help,
Michael Vogt

I suggest storing those files in the MON state directory, and using the MON_STATEDIR environment variable that is passed to monitor scripts to find the files.

The primary reason that daemons change their working directory is avoid having a running daemon have its working directory in a network mounted filesystem, or in a filesystem you might want to unmount.

-David

David Nolan                    <*>                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
curses: May you be forced to grep the termcap of an unclean yacc while
     a herd of rogue emacs fsck your troff and vgrind your pathalias!