OK. I know arpwatch itself is a monitoring tool. But I haven't figured out a direct way to tell it to reduce the noise. I have it running with "-d" in a terminal session with unlimited cache so I can scroll back, search, and check it out. But, if I ran it in the background, with it sending emails, it looks like it would immediately have the systems group yelling, "kill it. now."

I've seen a writeup in Linux Journal where they funnel all the output into a file, process it with perl into a database, and then provide a web interface to view the database. Why does everything have to be so involved? This stuff is supposed to just work. Like mon. And arpwatch has been around forever.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has put together a mon monitor that can mediate the notifications from arpwatch. I'm using arpwatch-NG1.7.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
  c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogen...@bio.umass.edu>