On 7/1/11 12:46 PM, Nathan Gibbs wrote:
On 6/14/2011 1:10 PM, Chris Hoogendyk wrote:
This stuff is supposed to just work. Like mon. And arpwatch
has been around forever.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has put together a mon monitor that can
mediate the notifications from arpwatch. I'm using arpwatch-NG1.7.

I don't, but I have been working on a monitor to check the arp table of
hosts and report anomalies.

Anyone interested?

Yes.

A bit more control over reporting frequency and what is reported would be very good. Arpwatch produces an overload and makes it hard to use on a busy network since it is constantly shouting about things. If you can recognize that some particular hardware address was already reported for a particular behavior and not continue hollering about it, that would make it more valuable -- i.e. increase the signal to noise ratio. Any other correlation or diagnostic stuff would be good as well.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
   O__  ---- Systems Administrator
  c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
 (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogen...@bio.umass.edu>