On 06/03/2015 12:42, Edward Ned Harvey (mono) wrote:
From: mono-devel-list-boun...@lists.ximian.com
[mailto:mono-devel-list- boun...@lists.ximian.com] On Behalf Of
Federico Di Gregorio
[snip]
I agree that the pattern you've suggested is the better pattern, to
avoid NullReferenceException in a race condition.  I don't see
anything "official" out there suggesting this pattern; in fact, all
the example code I see from msdn and elsewhere uses the former
pattern.  Your post is the first time I've heard of the new pattern,
and I'm going to use it from now on.  Hopefully nobody objects to the
suggested new pattern, and hopefully those changes are acceptable,
but if not, maybe you can find something official suggesting the new
pattern.

I found references to this pattern in so many places (books, articles, blogs, SO answers) that I thought it was canon: it never occured to me to check for an official source. Anyway, if you're interested here are two interesting posts about it:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ericlippert/archive/2009/04/29/events-and-races.aspx
http://codeblog.jonskeet.uk/2015/01/30/clean-event-handlers-invocation-with-c-6/

Ciao,

federico