Duncan Mak said the following on 24/08/2004 19.58:

Hello all,

Hello Duncan,

Is Mono too difficult to install for people new to Linux? For people
with Linux experience?

I'm new to Linux and, yes, it is hard. It was hard installing a clean SuSE box, it's still hard work with the new environment (I come, obviously, from Win) for a thousand reasons and, finally, it is hard to install and configure Mono. I feel myself a skilled user, as a programmer but under Linux I find myseld kinda lost :!

I believe the hardest thing about Mono is correctly configure mod_mono, apache & co.

As you said, many developers are trying to move to Mono and so, to Linux. Probably good tutes about the prerequisites would help (eg: I didn't know nothing about "make + make install" before swimming around the Net, and that's like breath for a normal Linux user).. don't know, something like driving directions for the first weeks :) .. or just "for Windows users FAQ", where a Win user can find how to work with basic settings (also an environment variable could cost us half a day trying to understand).

I don't know the technical reasons, but probably if Red Carpet installs also mod_mono that could help a lot.

--
TI