On Nov 20, 2005, at 2:45 PM, Jackson Harper wrote:
On Sat, 2005-11-19 at 22:36 -0600, Adam Hill wrote:
The irony of this thread is mind boggling. :)

The irony of your post is that it was easier to rewrite sharpdevelop
using gtk# then to get it working with our winforms (because of pinvokes
and windowsisms) ;-)

Asking about GTK portability/GTK GUI Builder and then using
MonoDevelop as an example of a GTK GUI IDE and it does not run on
cross-platform.

Monodevelop does not work on windows because its designed to be a first class IDE on Linux, not a cross platform IDE. So it takes advantages of
things that don't exist on windows, and does things in a more linuxy
way.  Instead of taking the lowest common denominator of two operating
systems (one of which already has plenty of IDEs) they decided to focus
on Linux/Unix.

And the irony of your post is that some of us are primarily interested in the cross-platform aspects of mono and not writing monodevelop to be portable seems a little ... something.

I'm using Mac OS X and I would love to be able to use monodevelop.

Oh well. Maybe Apple will tell us about where the hooks are in Xcode so we could develop on that for mono. Until then, I'll just use jEdit, I suppose.

Ron Braithwaite
2015 NE 37th Ave
Portland, OR 97212 USA
503-267-3250