there does seem to be a distinct lack of third party tools/components for
iOS (and Mac) compared to the very rich selection that exists under
Windows/.NET

I don't know how much of this is due to cultural reasons and how much is
technical

hopefully as MT matures and grows we'll begin to see a richer ecosystem of
third party controls/tools