----> The Monsoon List - TucsonUnderground <--------------------------------------

Event: GENTLEMEN PREFER MARILYN : A Marilyn Monroe Celebration - Presented by Invisible Theater
        When:   1/7/2009
        Time:   7:30 pm to  am
        Where:  The Loft Cinema
                        3233 E Speedway Blvd
                        Tucson 85716
        Cost:   $6.00

----> Event Description <---------------------------------------------------------

Unbottle your inner blonde at this cinematic celebration of Hollywood's most beloved sex symbol, featuring a screening of the classic 1953 musical/comedy GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES (with MM's iconic "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend" musical number), sing-a-long numbers from classic Monroe movies, a bodacious Marilyn costume contest with fabulous prizes, and tantalizing Monroe trivia games. Talk to me, Harry Winston!

We're tipping our collective hats to tinsletown's all-time favorite "It Girl" with GENTLEMEN PREFER MARILYN, a diamond-studded celebration of the one-and-only Marilyn Monroe. See Marilyn do her thing (much-imitated, but never duplicated) in the hilarious 1953 musical/comedy GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES, co-starring Jane Russell! Lorelei Lee (Monroe) and her best gal pal Dorothy Shaw (Russell) are a pair of showgirls, just "Two Little Girls from Little Rock," Dorothy the sassy one looking for true love, Lorelei the blonde hoping to marry a millionaire, with her sights set on Gus Esmond, a wealthy nerd stuck under his father's thumb. When Lorelei and Dorothy take a transatlantic cruise to Paris, an undercover detective follows to find out if Lorelei is really a gold-digging schemer. Unfortunately, the irrepressible Lorelei is a born flirt and soon finds herself in a compromising position with Sir Francis Beekman (Charles Coburn), owner of a diamond mine. Highly-entertaining hjinks ensue as the girls have to use all their wits to get out of trouble and still find love and marriage. Directed by Hollywood legend Howard Hawks (Bringing up Baby), and featuring stunning Technicolor cinematography and lavish musical numbers, GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES is one of the most charming, entertaining musicals of the 1950s. If you've never seen Monroe sing her legendary number "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" decked out in shocking pink and surrounded by high-stepping hunks (later recreated by Madonna in her "Material Girl" video), you've definitely been missing out! Come dressed in your best Marilyn apparel and hit The Loft stage to wow the audience at our Monroe-licious costume contest (bring your own subway grate) .... it's open to any gender, so don't let biology get in the way of indulging your inner Marilyn. You can also win fab prizes during our pre-show Monroe trivia contest. Think you know the real Norma Jean? We'll be the judge of that! The Divine MM may be gone, but she's far from forgotten, so don't miss out on this chance to once again fall under the spell of Hollywood's favorite blonde bombshell!

The Loft Cinema
3233 E Speedway Blvd
Tucson 85716

TucsonUnderground