Welcome, Debra, to the ranks of happy Montgomery sailors !

Steve, look into the three storage wells inside the cabin for signs of
water (that old ring around the bathtub look) and around both windows.
If water got in any of the compartments it could move under the interior
molded shell and would settle in the vicinity of the potty location.
And, yes, I believe water could seep through cracks in the gel coating
and fiberglass interior liner and get trapped under the potty location.
That might be the best of the possible reasons for water to be
collecting there.

When the outside cockpit gets water in it, it drains around the line
used to raise and lower the center board.  It isn't unusual for wave
action to cause a back flow of some water up into the cockpit.  You've
probably read the many solutions found for that.  However, thanks to an
incomplete glassing job on the trunk, I took water in the cabin as well
as the cockpit until I found the flaw and patched the thin fiberglass
housing through which the center board line and the cockpit drain pass.
There is only about a 3/4 inch drain hole on the floor of the cockpit
but the housing below the deck opens into a square or rectangular shape
and is totally hollow.  The water normally fills the (long rectangular)
center board keel cavity and when there is sufficient pressure it will
push upward, fill the trunk and squirt up out of the drain.  If that
trunk isn't sealed, water will flow out into the sump and eventually
flood the floor.

Give the hull a very close examination for holes, cuts or deep nicks.
Hopefully, you will not find any spongy areas but test for them anyway
around any possible holes.  If the water isn't coming through the hull
you are in luck - all you need do then is find where water is leaking
down into your cabin.  (down is better than up)

I've never tried filling a cabin with water to find a leak - and don't
think I ever will.

By the way, when you take her sailing, don't let the center board down
(or pull it up) too enthusiastically.  The pivot point for that very
heavy centerboard is tough but it is vulnerable.  I expect your 1981
board has multiple cracks and fractures in that stress area by now.
Mine came crashing out a few years ago and I had a ball getting it
fixed.


Stan
Carol II, #177


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to