In a message dated 6/29/02 5:05:50 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Help!! I just bought a nice M-15 but the Mast crutch that mounts on the 
transom while trailering and the porta-potti could not be found by the 
seller. I would like to find original or correct after market replacements. 
Also looking for any light air headsail and/or spinnaker for the M-15. Used 
is OK but not worn out. If you have, or know of any leads, I would greatly 
appreciate your help in this matter. Oh! and does anyone know a source for 
the original M-15 stern rail? Thanks, David [EMAIL PROTECTED] >>

Hi David,
Here is some info that may prove helpful:

Mast Crutch:
The factory supplied crutch was a stainless tube with two stainless pintles 
welded on (plug into gudgeons on transom) and with a V-shaped stainless piece 
welded on top and covered with heater hose to reduce abrasion. You might want 
to check with Bob Eeg (current builder of the M-boats) to see what he is 
supplying now.

Porta-Potti:
Thetford 135 will fit later model M15's without modification.  Older models 
might require some modification of the head (see my earlier posting re same).

Light air sails:
Owners on this list have tried a variety of light air strategies (large 
Genoas, drifters, assymetrical/cruising chutes, poled spinnakers).  My 
experience (on the M15) has been limited to a smallish 
assymetrical/'gennaker' type cruising chute.  It worked OK, but I found its 
utility to be somewhat limited on anything below a broad reach as the main 
would blanket it.  On a dead downwind run, it could be poled out for wing and 
wing with decent results, but we usually ended up dropping the main and 
sailing under the chute alone.  This begged the question as to which was more 
efficient--main and working jib, or chute alone.  I am inclined to try a 
bigger chute and see what happens.  I think a poled spinnaker would be great 
fun as well as more efficient (due to the ability to square off), but I 
decided to forego this in the interest of simplicity.

I would be very careful about using any kind of masthead chute on the M15.  
The fractional backstay-less rig does not, to me, seem up to the task without 
some kind of running backstays, and even then, I would be very cautious.

M15 Stern Rail:
To my knowledge, there was no stern rail offered as original equipment on the 
Jerry Montgomery built M15's.  That said, a number of us have added them.  A 
few years ago, a group of us had Svendsen's Metal Works in Alameda, CA make 
them using a friend's custom version as a pattern.  I believe that Bob Eeg 
has supplied them on the new  M15's.  You might want to check with him.

Good luck!
Scott Grometer
M15 #478 'bebe'


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to