Scott:

I purchased a 140 sq gennaker from Hogin Sails shortly after Bert Felton
got his.

I fly it often from just a couple feet below the masthead. The tack
remains above  the bow pulpet.  I fly with and without the Main up. I
douse it  when the winds get above six or seven knots.  I've never
experienced a strain on the rig.  Its lots of fun and really pretty.  I
don't find it to be much fun flying it from the spinnaker block.

I've read Jerry's comment and yours regarding a concern of  losing the
mast because of the strain from flying such a large sail more than six
inches above the forestay but I've found that by just applying some
common sense I've not had any problems.  I do, however, fly my 144 sq.
ft. spinnaker from the spinnaker block located six inches above the
forestay.  I have much more respect for the spinnaker than the gennaker
because too many things can happen with the spinnaker. The gennaker is
easy to deal with.

I have lost a mast while sailing in Redwood City Harbor on my Capri 14.2
in 25+  knots of wind.  The mast bent  just above the point where the
shrouds and forestay attach to the mast.  We were going to weather as
best we could and trying to keep the boat flat. Catalina Boats replaced
the mast at no charge, after the designer/owner (I don't recall his
name)    called me at home and lectured me on how to tune the rig.  The
Capri rig is almost identical to the M15 rig except for having
spreaders.

Rich Cottrell
Really-M15


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to