Am I reading into your responses that a 150% makes more sense than a 155%,
unless I live in an area with only light winds?

Can anyone write knowledgeably about a fully-battened main?  Is it
substantially more expensive?  Does it have a performance advantage?

Thanks!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roberta Dvorscak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, July 12, 2002 1:56 AM
Subject: CDI Furler


The CDI allows reefing. CDI supplies specific information for your
sailmaker to correctly build a sail that will hold a reasonable shape
when partially furled. I would go with a 150 if the prevailing winds in
your home waters are consistently light (you can't furl a 150 down to a
storm jib). The first sail I had built was a 135 made from a heavy
Dacron cloth. I frequently encounter wind conditions of 20 knots or more
and didn't want to risk blowing out a 150 that I would have made out of
a lighter fabric. Next year I may order a 150 and change headsails
before leaving the dock as conditions warrant (it's not that difficult
to change sails on the CDI).

Mark Dvorscak
M17 #400
GRACE

------------------------------

Bob Campbell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I'm using a 150 on my CDI Furler mainly because I've been told some
races limit you to a 150 instead of a 155 (not that I'm that big a racer).
I find the CDI furler does a good job of reefing. I have foam in the
luff on my 150 which helps the sail maintain its shape when reefed.
This time of year in San Francisco Bay I use my working jib as there is
usually a pretty fair amount of breeze particularly near the Golden Gate
in the afternoon.

Bob Campbell





_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to