Hi John..

Methinks that you can replace the 4hp with a smaller 4 stroke, but it
depends on the sailing that you do. You didn't mention where you sail, if
there's strong wind/tides that you need to motor against, etc.

I've powered Stargazer with a 36 pound thrust trolling motor while I was
getting the 8hp Evinrude repaired.
The former owner sailed out of Ft. Myers, Fla., in the Gulf, and probably
needed the 8hp when the tide was wrong.  I sail on Lake Lanier, Ga., and
use a 3hp Seagull.  Some wind at times, but no current to motor against.

Unless you do a lot of motoring, I'd forego the alternator.  It won't give
the battery much of a charge for the few minutes one usually motors to get
out of the slip/ launching area into the wind. 

  Harvey/ Ga

M-17  Stargazer  #294

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to