Rich,

My mock-up tiller extension fits on top of the existing tiller and runs
to about the forward edge of the sail locker lids.

I shaped it so that the bottom of the extension fits the curve of the top
of the regular tiller.  I also tapered the back of the tiller so that the
front edge is raised about 3 inches.

A pin, that was made to fit the Forespar tiller extension fitting in the
tiller, was put in the bottom of the tiller extension.  The purpose is to
keep the extension from rotating when force is applied.

I clamped it in place on the existing tiller,and have sailed with it.  So
far, I like to new height at the gripping area, and I find that the
longer length makes for much more precise steering.  
By increasing the length of the tiller, a quarter inch movement is now
all you need for course holding.  

All my sailing has been under "pleasant" conditions - no sudden fronts;
williwaws; gusts, etc. that would really exercise the system and show
weak spots.

I find that it's an improvement over the regular length tiller, and don't
find that it makes access to the sail lockers  any more difficult.

The fact that you can now sit all the way forward in the cockpit is also
an advantage.  Gives you better boat balance.

Connie

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to