I made a removable, tiller extension out of an old wooden crutch.  What was
the crutch tip is the tiller handle.  It is a "V" shaped piece 34 inches
long.

The original tiller is sandwiched between the open forks of the "V" which
overlaps the tiller about 14 inches.  The extended tiller is thus about 20
inches longer.  I like sitting up by the cabin and being able to reach the
tiller.

A 10-24 stainless bolt almost three inches long clamps the aft end of the
extension to the tiller.  A small stainless strap bridges the "V" up near
the original tiller handle so the extension doesn't drop below horizontal. 
This design lets you lift the tiller extension out of the way if you want.

I take out the bolt and store the extension when trailering.  The tiller is
in original shape except for a 3/16" hole.

I threw this together before heading for the SCA race in Monterey and was
very happy with the overall function.

Charless Fowlkes
Bozeman Montana
M-15  "Vagabundo"

----------
> From: Smith, Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: M_Boats: M15 Tiller
> Date: Monday, October 07, 2002 6:25 PM
> 
> Thanks for the update Rich.  I just pulled Chukar out yesterday for the
winter.  I'll probably mess around with tiller length in the shop over the
next few months.  It seemed like there would be some interference with the
lockers, but I figured I'd be able to live with the inconvenience.  Another
thing I've recently thought about is a bench that sits across the cockpit. 
I find I balance the boat by shifting back and forth, and that at times the
perfect place to sit is right in the middle, thus an athwart ships bench
once could straddle.  Crazy, huh?  t
> 
> Tom Smith & Jane Van Winkle
> Sandpoint, Idaho
> M15-345, Chukar
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:rc2222@;postoffice.pacbell.net]
> Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 3:43 PM
> To: Montgomery Boats
> Subject: M_Boats: M15 Tiller
> 
> 
> Connie and Tom:
> 
> I've had enough sailing experience now with the new 47" length tiller to
> comment on a limitation.
> 
> The tiller extends to approximately the center point of the cockpit
> lockers.  Just when you need access to the locker, often times the
> tiller is in the way. It takes sometime getting used to.
> 
> Rich
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> 
> 
> 
> This message was scanned for viruses.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to