Jerry, Are you going to a run of centerboards? Irv -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:montgomery_boats-admin@;mailman.xmission.com] On Behalf Of Jerry Montgomery Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 8:38 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: M_Boats: Older M17 Centerboard
Would it be practical for you to have the boat hauled if you are going to do it anyway, pull the board and see what the problem is? Measure the inside of the trunk first, by sliding in a spacer. The original board should be about 7/8"; could be it has swelled up with rust, or it could be that the trunk has shrunk. You will need to come up with a good measurement of the trunk anyway, as part of determining the problem. I probably will start on the trunk mold an about two or three weeks, depending on work coming in. Jerry ----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Wheeler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 3:18 PM Subject: Re: M_Boats: Older M17 Centerboard > Jerry, > Any idea when on the new board might be ready? My M17 goes to the boatyard > in 2 weeks to have the stuck centerboard removed. I need to decide whether > to wait for your board or to have mine reworked. If you need a boat > to test > fit or just to be first, mine is available, I could deliver it to > Sacto. Ken Wheeler > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Jerry Montgomery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 9:06 PM > Subject: Re: M_Boats: Older M17 Centerboard > > > > I think I'll get started on the centerboard project when things slow down > a > > little this fall. Looks like the way to go might be to tool up a > > glass > boat > > with a lead core, which would probably weigh less than 100 lbs. I > > will probably make the tooling so that I can make the board in a > > thickness to > fit > > the trunk. These will not be a cure for boards that stick because > > the > trunk > > is collapsing; in these cases the trunk will have to be fixed. > > Assuming that that problem is caused by rusting, the leak (where > > water is getting > in) > > will have to be fixed, the water removed, and the rusty ballast > > removed. This will be neither an easy nor a fun job, but the only > > sure way I can > see > > is to dig the rusty ballast out from the OUTSIDE of the keel, ram an > insert > > into the trunk to maintain the thickness, re-bond some ballast to replace > > that which has been removed, then repair the outside of the keel. > Probably > > several days' work. I wonder if a cast lead extension to the bottom > > of > the > > keel, making a fixed keel out of it, might be better in the long > > run. We > > have made two types of fixed keels for the 17 over the years, and > > both sailed very well. The first few 17's we made, in 73, had a > > cast iron > keel, > > kind of like a Cal 20 keel, with a bulb on the bottom, and they were very > > stiff because the weight (550 lbs) was concentrated very low, but, > > like > the > > Cal 20's, they hobby horsed a little going into a chop. In the > > early 90's > > we made two or maybe three fixed keel boats with a glass extension > > and > lead > > ballast; they went upwind like crazy. Bob Eeg has that extension > > mold, > but > > it wouldn't be a good way to change the boat after it was built. > > > > If any of you have any comments about any of this, speak up and I'll start > > another file. The file of respondants to the new CB thjread was > > lost when > > my old 'puter got sick, but I remember that most were in favor of a glass > > board rather than a cast one because of cost. When I get organized > > (!) > I'll > > come up with some options. > > > > Jerry > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > > To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> > > Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 8:21 PM > > Subject: Re: M_Boats: Older M17 Centerboard > > > > > > > Jerry, did you get enough interest to justify the production of a > > > new > > style > > > CB for the M-17? I know a few people responded, but I am not sure > > > if I > > did. I > > > would like to be put on the list for a CB that will work when I > > > want it > > to. > > > On the question regarding the CB trunk swelling, what are your thoughts > on > > > this...If the new CB does not cure the problem, can we remove some > > > of > the > > > inside of the trunk and not compromise the integrity of the boat? > > > Congratulations on another win, this time in Monterrey Bay. You > > > built > one > > > hell of a boat, but your sailing abilities are probably the key factor! > > > Tom Woodworth > > > M-17 "Wild Hare" > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > > > http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_bo > > > ats > > > > > > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > > http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boat > > s > > > _______________________________________________ > http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats > _______________________________________________ http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats _______________________________________________ http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
