I have set up an arrangement with Osprey that holds the locker closed, with
nothing showing from the outside. I have a padeye riveted to the inside of
the locker hatch, and one set at a diagonal directly below it on the inner
wall of the locker. There is also a clam cleat just opposite the aft end of
the sink, on the inside of the cockkpit's side. I run a 1/4 inch line from
the locker top through the padeye in the locker, then to the clam cleat. I
merely tug the line tight, and put it into the clam and it's secure. Howard
can perhaps describe this system, but it's easy, unobtrusive and
inexpensive. TH


> [Original Message]
> From: Smith, Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 > Date: 1/16/2003 6:52:56 PM
> Subject: RE: M_Boats: self righting
>
> The M15 cb is really very lightweight.  I doubt its deployment would =
> have helped Murray.  And it is possible the board being down would help =
> but probably more so in the case of large seas, as in my understanding, =
> it's getting the boat up off horizontal on a steep swell that causes it =
> to more easily trip. =20
> 
> I'm with you on the hasp deal, and I've considered them but just =
> neglected to do anything about the situation.  Any recommendations of =
> great, unobtrusive, locker hasps?  t=20
> 
> Tom Smith & Jane Van Winkle
> Sandpoint, Idaho
> M15-345, Chukar
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Honshells [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
> Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 4:44 PM
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: M_Boats: self righting
> 
> 
> 
> Practically every boat review I've read says boats (of all sizes) should
> have hasps on their cockpit lockers, a feature many manufacturers don't
> offer (easy enough for buyers to add their own).  After reading Murray's
> post, I'm considering them more seriously.
> 
> Would a centerboard retracted into its trunk inhibit righting?  The =
> result
> is less surface to brace against to right the boat, but the Montys' =
> ballast
> is slung low, either way.
> 
> Another question:  I have been told that when conditions get dicey, I'm =
> less
> likely to suffer a knock-down if the board is up.  The theory is that,
> without the board's resistance, the boat will "skitter" sideways in a =
> gust,
> rather than going over.  What's the consensus?
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 10:38 AM
> Subject: self righting
> 
> Murray--I agree with Rich that the details of your experience with the =
> M-15
> knock-down would be of interest to all of us.
> 
> Whatever details you can provide about the events leading up to it could
> help us to avoid losing all the stuff in our cockpit lockers as well.
> 
> One other question: did you notice-- did the centerboard swing back up =
> into
> the slot when she went over?  It seems likely given your description of
> her position in the water, and if so, then it is very possible that this
> contributed to the lack of self-righting, and it would behoove M15 =
> owners to
> seriously consider some kind of down-position locking mechanism for the
> centerboard.
> 
> Also, what kind of positive floatation does she carry.  This was a big
> discussion in this group last winter.  I personally have NO added =
> floatation
> in my
> M15, but I know a lot of people do, and I am definitely planning to add =
> some
> sooner or later.  (Maybe a lot sooner, now that I've heard your story.)
> 
> Thanks for sharing!
> 
> --
> 
> Steve McClellan~~M15~#152~~Chicago
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> 
> 
> 
> This message was scanned for viruses.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


--- Thomas Howe
--- Real Estate questions?  Here's Howe!
--- Your Link To Homes In Lawrence, Kansas
--- Reece and Nichols. ACRES Realtors
--- 785-550-1169
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--- http://www.ThomasHoweOnline.com

                   O
--------(\-----------
~  (\  ~   ~   ~   ~
~ ~ ~ ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~  ~



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to