Thanks for sharing your experiences and modifications, I have always been
worried about a possible knockdown and what the result would be.  Its great
to hear about other peoples experiences and discussion in this area, since I
have always worried about my first experience being my last.

I have made some modifications to my boat to provide additional security in
case of a knockdown.  I commonly sail in very windy and wavy conditions so
it wouldn't be a simple manner of a one-time self righting.  Unless
something changed, further knockdowns would occur over and over.  I don't
have any additional floatation, so if the boat were to ship too much water
in a knockdown(s) it would evetually sink.  The boat as a whole would have
to be sealed sufficiently to provide bouyancy until conditions could be
remedied.  The weak points I found were, the cabin door (hatch), cockpit
locker, and sink drain.  Furthermore, I think that keeping the heavy gear
secure in the bottom of the boat will add a lot of self-righting stability.

The standard two-piece 1/4 inch hatch covers did not look very secure, and
even if they could withstand the water force, they would still leak alot.  I
have constructed a one-piece hatch cover out of 7/16 plywood which fits very
snuggly into the grove in the trim boards and under the lid.  I think that
this hatch cover would withstand a fairly long-term exposure to waves and
cockpit water without leaking too much (it also provides better protection
against mosquitos).  Whenever the wind picks up I make sure to always sail
with the the main hatch closed securely.

For the large cockpit locker, I just riveted on standard hasps and they
don't seem to interfere with the normal sailing operations. I put a couple
on because the forces could be quite large on the locker lid in the event of
a knockdown.  I also put a rubber weather strip around the inside edge of
the locker, that when the locker is locked down provides a fairly
water-tight seal.

The access boards under the berths were a little more difficult to put
latches on, since I wanted them to be flush below the cushions.  I found
some hardware at the local Ace that worked alright.  Again these need to be
very strong to withstand the forces during a knockdown.

I haven't overcome the drain issue yet but I suppose a check valve would
work.

I agree with the comment I read about reefing early.  The Montgomery seems
to sail very solidly with reefed sails, and suprising, doesn't lose too much
speed.  I commonly sail with about a 70% jib and a fully (double) reefed
mainsail.  With this arrangement and some pretty good winds I can average 6
knots without too much instablity in the waves.  Also a little weather helm
due to the small jib.

Cordell Pool





_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to