Sandra,
Some folks run out of gas after they've run out of wind after they've
sailed far from home - so they scull. I've paddled and keep two
paddles in my boat at all times (one for me and one for any guest on
board). There was a time when I was too proud to mount a motor on my
boat but paddling for a few hours at sunset on an outgoing tide in the
Chesapeake Bay cured me of that vanity.
I've got a rope ladder (with plastic steps) on board for emergencies
but have found it to be very unsatisfactory for general use - one
really needs a firm surface against which to press when climbing out of
water. I've not found any way to keep the ladder from swinging under
the hull when I put weight on it. That results in your attempting to
not only climb out of the water but doing it while literally lying on
your back.
It works fairly well tied to the chainplate when the person onboard
tips the boat while the person in the water mounts as far as they can
up onto but doesn't try to climb the ladder. Then the onboard person
tips the boat to the other side lifting the swimmer out of the water
and occasionally into a posture more suitable for climbing the last
step or two onto the boat. I guess it is like a man overboard recovery
sling but requires a fairly agile man overboard.
I've tired climbing it circus fashion (one foot in front and the other
from the back climbing the side of the ladder). The results were
hilarious but not terribly successful as far as getting out of the
water and into the boat. But I still love the high freeboard of the
Montgomery
Stan
M-15, #177, Carol II
_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
- M_Boats: Boarding Ladders & sculling Seawitch
- Re: M_Boats: Boarding Ladders & sculling Stanley Winarski
- Re: M_Boats: Boarding Ladders & sculling Howard Audsley
- M_Boats: Adrift . . . Honshells
- RE: M_Boats: Boarding Ladders & sculling Bill Riker
- Re: M_Boats: Boarding Ladders & sculling DDAYSTROM
