Hello,

Having asked for advice on the net concerning my wayward centerboard pin and
having received several suggestions from many people including Montgomery
boats (Thanks Bob!) I thought I would describe what I did. 

PROBLEM: 
Center board pin keeps working its way out due to use and most likely,
trailer vibration.

SOLUTION METHOD: 
Modify pin and use marine grade epoxy

SOLUTION PROCEDURE:
1. Shorten (if necessary) the steel pin so that when inserted back into boat
the depth on each side is no greater than @1/16". This is unfortunately a
'rough cut and then fine grind' procedure as you want as much pin to hull
contact as possible.

2. After correct pin length for your M - 15 is determined, remove the pin
and seriously rough up the ends where they contact the hull. I used a
grinder to put @1/32" deep gouges around the ends.  This is to give the
epoxy something to grab on too. Those of you who have access to a lathe and
a knurling tool could a more elegant job of it...even make up extras to sell
on the net...but I digress.

3. Insert the pin back into the boat through the center board BEFORE you
apply any epoxy. You want to epoxy the pin to the hull, not the center board
to the pin.

4. Push the pin completely through one side (don't forget the center board)
so that the ruffed up end is showing through on the other. Coat the hole and
the exposed pin end. Now push the pin back through the hole till the other
side of pin is exposed and then coat the exposed pin end and the hole on the
other side of the boat. Next push the pin back in till the recessed depth on
both sides is equal.

5. Let Dry completely. I let it set two days.

6. You can finish sand smooth as the spot is under water and the dark spot
won't be seen or you can be anal about it (like me) sand the area with 80
grit paper, fill with Bondo light activated fiberglass repair (the cream
colored one matches the boat color pretty good) and then sand smooth. There
will still be a dark spot but it will not be as obvious.

RESULTS:
I have just completed a round trip from Moscow, ID to Ogden, UT (GPS 924
miles) with sailing on Cascade Lake, ID and Bear Lake, UT which translates
to a trip total of well over 1000 miles.

There is no cracking evident so I must judge the repair a success. I will
report back if and when the repair fails.

MATERIALS:
Bondo brand light activated fiberglass repair
Ace Marine grade epoxy
Various grades of sand paper

Hope this helps those with similar problem. And again thanks to all who sent
me suggestions!

Vince and Sharon Himsl
M-15 Duet

P.S. I sure hope I don't have a need to remove the pin...


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to